This bench was given to me for free by a lady from whom I bought a French Armoire. I will post the French Armoire project at a later time.
It was nasty, dusty and overall very unappealing bench ( I guess this is why it was free … hey, no complaint.)
So here are the steps :
(1) After a light sanding job, I spray painted random areas of the bench with ” Rustoleum Heirloom White.” (2) After drying out, I resanded almost all of the white paint with a fine grid sanding wedge. (3) I buffed it with a wet cloth, (4)then I used my foam brush and stained the bench with “Minwax Stain Jacobean 2750.” 24 hours later, I started on the upholstery.
The upholstering process:
I bought 3″ thick green foam from Joann’s fabrics, because as you may see the bench was very rigid and stiff. Now it all ready after a new big foamy layer , batting, and the fabric all joined by a stapling gun.
For the piping I used the remains of the fabric, a piping cord, and my zipper foot on the sewing machine. The fabric had a fringe/frayed edge so I didn’t have to cut it. I kept it as I felt it went well with the distressed rustic style.
This pillow is a no sew , I just used a steam adhesuze tape, check out the tutorial here.
|The back was a bit cracked so I glued this hardware to cover it and it adds the old and rustic feel to it|